Website Managed Funds Association
Position Title: Counsel/Senior Counsel, U.S. Regulatory Affairs
Location: Washington, D.C. (Hybrid)
Reports to: Executive Vice President, Chief Counsel & Head of Global Regulatory Affairs
Position Summary: Managed Funds Association, based in Washington, D.C. and New York, represents the global alternative investment industry and its investors by advocating for regulatory, tax, and other public policies that foster efficient, transparent, and fair capital markets.
MFA is seeking a legal/policy professional with Advisers Act/private funds experience to join the global policy team, who will also work across functions to advance policy initiatives for the Association. The team member will collaborate with legal and government relations professionals on the global policy team to help effectively communicate policy and regulatory matters.
The ideal candidate is a strong communicator and strategic thinker with experience working in a fast-paced policy office in financial services at a law firm, a trade association, or government. In this role, a successful candidate may analyze the impact of legislative and regulatory developments on MFA members, work with MFA members to develop Association policy, draft comments to regulators, oversee outside counsel/consultants and engage directly with policymakers and regulators. The candidate must be a team player, self-starter, organized, and willing to learn new skills and take on a variety of assignments.
Essential Responsibilities: The Counsel/Senior Counsel will report directly to the Executive Vice President, Chief Counsel & Head of Global Regulatory Affairs and will perform the following responsibilities:
· Under the direction of the Chief Counsel, support U.S. regulatory and legislative activities affecting the alternative investment industry;
· Lead and advise MFA on various legislative and regulatory initiatives before Congress, federal agencies (such as CFTC, SEC, Treasury/IRS, the Federal Reserve Board, and state officials), as well as certain private sector industry groups;
· Lead MFA committees in developing and reaching consensus on complex public policy issues;
· Advise on legislation and rulemaking proposals that impact the alternative investment industry;
· Coordinate with MFA research team on research to support policy issues;
· Engage and build relationships with regulators;
· Effectively represent MFA and support member delegations at meetings with government officials;
· Draft congressional testimony, comment letters, and policy papers;
· Deliver presentations and participate on panels at industry conferences and before regulators;
· Build industry coalitions to support advocacy;
Work closely with MFA’s leadership team, other regulatory and government relations professionals within the Global Policy team, and outside counsel; and
Perform other duties, as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements:
· JD degree required;
· A minimum of 4 years’ attorney experience, including at least 4 years of experience as regulatory counsel at a trade association, financial services, government, or law firm environment, with experience in legislative and regulatory rulemaking processes preferred;
· Proven experience in investment management, trading and market regulations, corporate finance, and/or ESG is preferred;
· Ability to provide strategic and practical legal advice;
· Ability to build strong working relations with colleagues, MFA members, external partners, and government officials;
· Ability to collaborate within a cross-functional team to develop solutions to complex policy issues, and to work closely with communications and conferences and events teams to educate the public and support member programs;
· Excellent writing and verbal communication skills;
· Demonstrated ability to work in a highly collaborative manner with tact and ability to creatively solve problems;
· Ability to manage highly sensitive organization information with discretion;
· Ability to multi-task projects on behalf of multiple constituencies in a fast-paced environment; and
· Ability to excel under pressure and implement last-minute details and changes confidently.
To apply for this job please visit www.linkedin.com.