Website Managed Funds Association
MFA represents the global alternative investment industry
Managed Funds Association, based in Washington, DC and New York, represents the global alternative investment industry and its investors by advocating for regulatory, tax, and other public policies that foster efficient, transparent, and fair capital markets.
MFA is seeking a legal/policy professional with experience in trading and markets (equities, Treasuries, derivatives) issues to join the regulatory affairs team, who will also work across functions to advance policy initiatives for the Association. The team member will collaborate with regulatory and government relations professionals, together as part of MFA’s policy team, to help effectively represent private fund managers on policy and regulatory matters.
The ideal candidate is a strong communicator and strategic thinker with experience working in a fast-paced policy office in financial services at a law firm, a trade association, or government. In this role, a successful candidate may analyze the impact of legislative and regulatory developments on MFA members, work with MFA members to develop Association policy, draft comments to regulators, oversee outside counsel/consultants and engage directly with policymakers and regulators. The candidate must be a team player, self-starter, organized, and willing to learn new skills and take on a variety of assignments.
Essential Responsibilities: The Counsel will report directly to the Chief Counsel, Head of US Regulatory Affairs and will perform the following responsibilities:
· Under the direction of the Chief Counsel, support regulatory and legislative activities affecting the alternative investment industry;
· Lead MFA committees in developing and reaching consensus on complex public policy issues;
· Advise on legislation and rulemaking proposals that impact the alternative investment industry;
· Coordinate research on policy issues;
· Draft congressional testimony, comment letters, and policy papers;
· Deliver presentations and participate on panels at industry conferences and before regulators;
· Engage and build relationships with regulators;
· Effectively represent MFA and support member delegations at meetings with government officials;
· Serve as MFA’s staff liaison for various committees and working groups;
· Build industry coalitions to support advocacy;
· Lead and advise MFA on various legislative and regulatory initiatives before Congress, federal agencies (such as CFTC, SEC, Treasury/IRS, the Federal Reserve Board, state officials, and international regulators), as well as certain private sector industry groups;
· Work closely with MFA’s leadership team, other regulatory and government relations professionals within the Policy team, and outside counsel; and
· Perform other duties, as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements:
· JD degree required;
· A minimum of 5 years’ attorney experience, including at least 5 years of experience as regulatory counsel at a trade association, financial services, government, or law firm environment, with experience in legislative and regulatory rulemaking processes preferred;
· Proven experience in investment management, trading and market regulations, and/or derivative products is preferred;
· Ability to provide strategic and practical legal advice;
· Ability to build strong working relations with colleagues, MFA members, external partners, and government officials;
· Ability to collaborate within a cross-functional team to develop solutions to complex policy issues, and to work closely with communications and conferences and events teams to educate the public and support member programs;
· Excellent writing and verbal communication skills;
· Demonstrated ability to work in a highly collaborative manner with tact and ability to creatively solve problems;
· Ability to manage highly sensitive organization information with discretion;
· Ability to multi-task projects on behalf of multiple constituencies in a fast-paced environment; and
· Ability to excel under pressure and implement last-minute details and changes confidently.
To apply for this job email your details to LSmith@managedfunds.org